Friday, September 05, 2008

My first experience of a funeral and at Mandai Cremetorium

I've sent Uncle Larry and Ah Gong only from the wake as i was asked to stay to look after the kids and Popo on the respective occasion. I could only remembered waiting for the rest of them back after around 2 hours. I've heard them describe how it is at the crematorium, but never experienced it.

This time, sis was asked to stay. We followed the coffin car out as it was playing the song. A song, that i couldnt recognise but will tear upon hearing it. This is the day. The last day that i will see her body.

I teared, rather badly i think, but i was able to control myself. I choose to sit alone in the bus, for some peace. We were on the way to St Joseph Church for the funeral mass.

As we reached, popo's body in the coffin was pushed to the front and later covered with a cloth and bible and the cross.

THough i do not quite understand what was being said by the Father and all, i felt sad. I was quietly thinking about what i last remember of popo and how a life could varnish before my own eyes.

I could remember the times when we were still young and all were still living in the kampung near this church. It is a childhood place, one that is filled with lots of memories.

Yet, today, it is not for a mass that i'm here, nor for a wedding that im here. We are gathered here, in this sacred place to say goodbye.

After the mass, we set off for Mandai Crementorium. THe journey seems long. An everlasting one. Deep down, i sort of hope that it will never lead me to the destination. BUt it never happens. I did not enjoy this bus ride. Totally.

Onece there, we waiting outside the service hall 2. Inside the hall, it was like a down flight of stairs with seats alongside and a resting place in front where the coffin would be placed. We sang hymns, prayed for her and when the time comes to place flowers on the coffin, i fear for the worst. That someone would cry out loud and breakdown. I'm glad the latter did not happen. To pre-ampt such incident, Uncle Jerome had tasked the guys to each take care of an Auntie, just in case. Then we went on to the viewing hall to watch.

I heard that it is automated. I heard we will see how the coffin is 'pushed' automatically to the 'furnace'. Then, i see right before my eyes, how it happen. A door will open to show the 'furnace'. Then popo's coffin is on this automated 'trolley' and the whole process of how the coffin went into a 'furnace' is shown. This 'furnace' is not as i've pictured in the older days where we will see the fire burning. Its just another box which the coffin is pushed in and i presume, the body will then be burnt there.

As i was on the path of discovery, Auntie Lay started crying, loudly. I was affected by her cries and tear continuously. I hate to see this scene. I hate to experience this. Not a moment that i enjoyed but a moment that i see great sadness and family bonding.

I dare to say, I'm glad and proud to be part of this family.

To all my aunties and uncles, stay strong. Popo has gone to look for ah gong and uncle larry, to be with the lord. God bless.

No comments: